Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Power of Priesthood Blessings in my Life

google photo
While watching a basketball game one Saturday afternoon one of the players fell, twisted a knee and was in severe pain. The referee, who was a member of the church, asked me if I would administer to him. One of the older players produced some consecrated oil and after anointing the injured boys head, I gave him a blessing and told him not to worry that all would be well. That night the young man attended a church dance. Once again the power of the priesthood was manifested.

Oct 16, 1981

While reading the book "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder"  by Le Grand Richards, the telephone rang. I had just finished reading the passage in the fifth chapter of James, verses 14-15.

"Is there any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith shall save the sick".
The call was from Clarence Harrison. He said Norman Iverman had injured himself and would like a blessing.  When they arrived at the house, I learned that Norman had injured his hand while at work. The doctor who treated him had put in four stitches and told Norman to be careful not to get any infection in the wound.  When giving him a blessing I promised him in the name of The Lord that his wound would heal and it would be necessary for him to lose any time from work.

The following Sunday Norm showed me his hand. It had completely healed.  Once again by being in tune with the Spirit of The Lord , I was able to use my priesthood in behalf of a fellow member of the church.

One day while I was recuperating from open heart surgery in Vancouver General Hospital, I had a visit from Lyle Burgess, an old family friend whom I had served with in the presidency of Vancouver first ward.  We had a nice visit and when he was about to leave I asked him if he would give me a priesthood blessing.  I had been having trouble sleeping at night even with the aid of sleeping pills and I had lost my appetite.  After the blessing I slept soundly and my appetite returned.   Once again I was sustained by the power of the priesthood.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's my mission buddy's grandpa, Lyle Burgess! Remember I told you about him.

    ReplyDelete